More than just a tofu dish, Mapo Tofu emanates the exotic flavours of Sichuan cuisine and its dedication to spiciness.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
450 grams of regular tofu
6 medium shitake mushrooms (chopped finely)
1 tablespoon of broad bean paste
2 garlic cloves
1 tablespoon Sichuan peppercorn powder
1 tablespoon oil
1 tablespoon salt
1 bunch shallots
1 tablespoon light soy sauce
3 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon starch
1 teaspoon salt
- Cut tofu into squares and chop wash shitake mushrooms. Then slice ginger, chop garlic and cut shallot whites into small sections.
- Prepare container; pour water with a pinch of salt. Soak tofu cubes for 10 minutes. Then drain.
- Prepare small bowl, mix all ingredients for sauce and mix evenly. Set aside.
- Use wok to heat up oil; and garlic, ginger and shallots into stir-fry until you can smell the aroma. Add chopped mushrooms and stir until soft. Remove the mushrooms to one side of the wok.
- Add broad bean paste and Sichuan peppercorn powder; continue frying.
- After 1 minute, add tofu and pour in sauce. Cook for 3 minutes. Toss the wok from time to time.
- Serve hot.