Recipe: Teriyaki tofu with warm udon and seaweed salad13 Jun 2018
Seaweed is the ingredient of the moment and what better way to hero the unique taste than in this warm salad. Perfect for a cold winters day, the udon noodles could also be cooled and served as a perfect summer dish too.
You can find these ingredients at the Box Hill Central Fresh Food Market and the seaweed at our Asian grocers.
600g firm tofu, cut crossways into 2cm-thick slices
1/3 cup (80ml) teriyaki marinade
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
1 teaspoon ginger, finely grated
1 tablespoon sesame oil
440g pkt wok-ready udon noodles
2 small carrots, cut into matchsticks
2 small Lebanese cucumbers, finely chopped
3 spring onions, thinly sliced
1 nori sheet, finely shredded
- Line a tray with paper towel. Place tofu, in a single layer, on paper towel. Top with more paper towel and press down gently to squeeze out excess moisture.
- Whisk the teriyaki marinade, honey, vinegar, ginger and half the oil in a bowl. Reserve half the mixture in a jug.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook the tofu, brushing occasionally with remaining teriyaki mixture, for 2-3 mins each side or until golden.
- Meanwhile, soak the noodles following packet directions. Drain. Place noodles, carrot, cucumber, spring onion, two-thirds of the nori and the reserved marinade in a bowl. Gently toss to combine.
- Divide the noodle salad among serving bowls. Top with the tofu and remaining nori.
*Recipe from Taste.com.au