Recipe: Taiwanese Beef Noodle Soup with Louis from Kitchen Republik13 Jun 2018
1kg plain flour
- In a large bowl mix flour with water until it becomes dough.
- Knead the mix for 2 minutes.
- Cover with a wet towel and let the dough rest for 20mins.
- Knead the dough again for 2 minutes.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4.
- To roll the noodles, take handful of dough and roll and pull the dough into a long noodle.
- Cut the noodle into an appropriate length.
- Set aside until ready to use.
Beef Soup Paste:
1 large onion
3-4 star anise
1g Sichuan pepper
2 Amomum tsaoko
3 bay leaves
1 cinnamon stick
3 tbs. black bean paste
3 tbs. chili bean paste
- Slice the large onion.
- In a wok over a medium heat add the oil and then add the onion. Cook until transparent.
- Add star anise, Sichuan pepper, amomum tsaoko, bay leaves, and the cinnamon stick.
- Stir the ingredients for approximately 1 minute.
- Add in black bean paste and chili bean paste and stir for 2 minutes
- Remove from heat and set aside ready to use later.
3kg beef bones
10 litres water
3 apples, quartered
5 brown onions, quartered
200g spring onion
10 star anise
3g Sishuan pepper
5 Amomum tasoko
- Add water and the beef bones into a large stock-pot.
- Over a low heat cook for 8 hours.
- Skim the blood and fat from the top of the liquid and throw away.
- Add in all other ingredients and boil for another 5 hours.
6 litres beef stock
3kg diced beef
1 cup soya sauce
1 tbs. dark soya sauce
4 Star anise
100g spring onion
4g Sichuan pepper
2 Amomum tsaoko
5g chicken salt
5g rock sugar
- Add 6 litres of the beef stock to a large pot and bring to the boil.
- Add 3kg of diced beef and cook for approximately 10 minutes.
- Skim all blood and fat off the top of the water and remove the meat from the water.
- In a wok add oil and place the cooked beef, soya sauce and dark soya sauce. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add all beef back to the beef stock.
- Add in ginger, spring onion, Sichuan pepper, amomum tsaoko, Star anise sugar, salt and chicken salt and bring to the boil.
- Place the beef soup paste into a filter bag and then place the bag in the soup and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the flame to a medium heat and cook for 50 minutes.
Spring onion, sliced
Bo chai, sliced
Chinese pickle, slice
How to assemble Beef Noodle Soup:
- In boiling water, add the noodles and boil for 2 minutes.
- Place the noodles in a serving bowl.
- Add 2 pieces of beef, 1 cup of beef broth, spring onion, coriander, bo chai and Chinese pickle to taste and enjoy.