Recipe: Golden Lava Bun with Louis12 Apr 2017
Golden lava bun skin
200g plain flour
2g baking powder
- In a large mixing bowl add yeast, sugar, and baking powder with water and stir until all the powder has dissolved.
- Add in flour and combine until it becomes dough.
- Cover with a wet towel and let the mix rest for 40mins.
- Knead the dough again and allow the mixture to rest for another 40 minutes.
- It is then ready to use.
Golden lava bun filling
240g salty duck egg yoke
120g melted butter
165g caster sugar
150g fresh cream
120g evaporated milk
15g caster sugar
60g plain flour 60g
- Using a steam basket over a wok, steam the duck egg yokes for 30 minutes
- Place egg yolks in a blender with the melted butter, caster sugar, fresh cream and evaporated milk from part 1. Blend until smooth.
- Remove the egg yolk mixture from the blender and then add in the remaining caster sugar and plain flower, mixing well.
- Roll approximately 15g of mixture into a ball shape and set aside until they are ready to be placed in the bun.
To make the Golden Lava Bun
- Cut 30g of the skin dough into small ball shape.
- Press the dough ball by hand, making it flat and round in shape.
- Scoop 25g of dumpling filling and place it in the center of the wrapper.
- Hold the Bao with one hand and start sealing the edges with the other hand.
- And place the Bao into a bamboo steamer, placing the lid back on.
- Fill a wok with hot water and place it on the stove.
- When the water has boiled place the steam basket on top of the wok.
- Cook the Bao for 8 minutes.
- Remove the steamer and serve.