Recipe: Coconut Pudding with Mango & Lychee Salad25 Jan 2017
With Chinese New Year around the corner, Box Hill Central’s fresh food precinct will be teaming with vibrant produce ready for everyone’s traditional and modern palette.
To celebrate, why not finish off your Chinese New Year feast with a fresh Asian-style dessert that everyone will love.
1 cup sugar
¼ cup powdered gelatine
2 x 400ml cans of coconut milk (premium preferred)
2 x 565g canned lychees in syrup, drained, leave aside ½ cup of syrup
2 mangoes, diced
Fresh mint leaves, to serve as garnish
- Combine sugar and 2 cups of cold water in a saucepan over low heat. Stir until sugar dissolves.
- Remove from heat and gradually add the gelatine, all the while stirring until combined.
- Return pan to low heat and cook until the gelatine has completely dissolved (do not boil).
- Gradually add coconut milk, stirring until combined.
- Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until heated through (do not boil).
- Transfer the mixture to a large heatproof bowl. Stir every 15 minutes for 1 hour or until cooled.
- Pour mixture into a greased square pan (4.5cm deep and 18.5cm across)
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to avoid separation.
- Keep refrigerated for 3 hours or until set.
- Once set, run a knife around the edge of pan. Invert the pan onto a chopping board and press the base to release the coconut pudding.
- Combine lychees, syrup and mango in a bowl.
- Cut coconut pudding into 12 rectangles and serve with lychee & mango salad topped with mint leaves.