Somen Salad with roasted eggplant and edamame
Noodles (面条; miàntiáo) mean uncut & long life
Serves: 4 | Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook Time: 30 mins | Cuisine: Japanese
270g Hakubaku Organic Somen Noodles (cooked as per pack instructions)
2 Tbsp vegetable oil or peanut oil
4 Asian eggplants, cut into 2 cm discs
1½ cups of edamame beans defrosted (found in the frozen section of supermarket)
1 Lebanese cucumber, peeled and finely sliced on the diagonal
4 radishes, finely sliced
Lime wedges to serve
Handful of chives, finely sliced
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 tsp grated ginger
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds
1 Tbsp sesame oil
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
3 spring onions, finely sliced
1 red chilli, finely sliced (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C.
2. Whisk all dressing ingredients. Set aside
3. Place oil in a medium heavy based baking dish and heat in oven until very hot, add eggplant pieces and cook on each side for 5 minutes until golden brown.
4. Remove from oven, allow to cool.
5. Add eggplant and beans to cooked noodles, then add cucumber and radishes.
6. Pour over dressing, toss well & mix through.
7. Serve warm or cold on a large platter, topped with chives and lime wedges