Recipe: Tasia & Gracia's Crispy Chicken Ribs with Sticky Chili & Sweet Soy12 Apr 2017
12 chicken spare ribs (aka chicken ribs) *if not available use chicken winglets
Dry Batter for Chicken
1 cup of flour
½ cup corn flour
½ cup breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons chicken salt
½ tablespoons pepper
1-tablespoon chili flakes
Sweet and Spicy Sauce
4 tablespoons sweet soy sauce (Kecap Manis ABC)
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoon dried chili flakes
2 bird eye chili, chopped
1 red chili, chopped
6 springs of spring onion, green part only, chopped
3 garlic, finely chopped
¼ teaspoon sesame oil
¼ teaspoon chili oil
1 teaspoon chicken salt
Baby garlic shoots
Baby Radish, thinly sliced
White sesame seeds
Roasted cashews roughly chopped
Charred Pickled Shallots
3 cups vinegar
3 cups sugar
10 baby shallots
- First marinade chicken spare ribs with lemon juice, rind and salt and set aside for about 15-20minutes.
- To make the dry batter, combine flour, corn flour, breadcrumbs, chicken salt, salt, chili flakes, pepper in a large bowl and stir until well combined. Set aside.
- Heat deep fryer to 180 degrees. Coat the marinated chicken ribs with the dry batter and deep fry until golden brown and crispy. Make sure the chicken is cooked all the way through. Set aside to cool, drain the excess oil using a paper towel.
- For the cashew crunch, deep fry cashews and sprinkle with salt and set aside.
- To make charred pickled shallots, first heat up the vinegar and sugar in a small saucepan and bring to the boil. Add the shallots and leave to pickle until the mixture comes to a room temperature. Once the shallots are pickled (this can be done quickly using a vacuum seal), heat up a medium pan and cut the shallots in half and char the shallots until the bottom blackens. Separate the layer (into single leave cups). Set aside.
- In a large wok, heat up vegetable oil and add spring onion, garlic and chili until fragrant and garlic begin to brown. Add chili flakes, sesame oil, chili oil and continue to cook over medium-low heat. Add sweet soy sauce and cook until the sauce thickens. Season with salt, pepper and chicken salt. Set aside to cool a little.
- Once the sauce is cooled, toss the chicken spare ribs and the charred baby corn into the thickened sweet and spicy sauce and toss the remaining spring onion and red chili.
- To plate top the coated chicken spare ribs with the cashews, dried chilies, spring onion, baby coriander leaves and extra sauce around the plate. Add lemon wedge on the side.
- Heat the oil first and cook off the spring onion, garlic and chili completely until fragrant
- Once sweet soy is added it will thicken quickly because of the sugars so be ready to remove it off the heat or else it will burn
- To speed up the time for pickling, vacuum seal the shallots in the pickling liquid, and compress using a vacuum sealer.